adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Here I am! Sorry!

From: Andrew Michael Phillips
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Here I am! Sorry!
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:56:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> Don't worry. We've all done much worse than that! :p

Myself being a case in point.

> > Now for the drawings!
>
> I especially like the apothocary. Ynar also has charisma as a character, I
> think. As Kai said, Talan is recognizeable, although his hairs aren't the
> same. That's a good thing to me. In sequels, when you meet characters that
> were in the previous game, you usually like it when they are a bit different
> (well, I do). I remember the enjoyment of discovering what was Stan's new job
> in Monkey Island 2! :)
>
> Andare looks fine to me as well. Doesn't look too much Anime. But you pointed
> a relevant point: the characters should not look too like Anime characters.
> Not that I have anything against Anime, but it will probably make it harder
> for you gfx people to draw with about the same style.

I think the scarf is too much for Andare. My comments about the
Forestkeepers seeming shady and being seen as untrustworthy have more to
do with the fact that they are seldom seen in settlements, and most of the
times when they are seen, it's briefly and when they are not at their
best. They're usually dirty, disheveled, secretive, and in a hurry. That's
just in "Human" settlements like WE and Erinsford. Out in the wilds, they
live another life completely - not necessarily more refined, but more
relaxed, at least. They are very much modeled on Tolkien's Rangers in that
they sometimes look foul but feel fair.

As far as attractiveness goes, he's neither attractive nor repulsive. He's
just average looking, really.

As far as the Apothecary and his neighbor/wife, I like the neighbor/wife,
and the apoth02_01 sketch, though I think he would be older
and slightly thinner. The second sketch - the zombie Apothecary - I don't
like much. While it is true that the Apothecary has inflicted himself with
diseases and their cures, so he may be scarred by lesions and boils and
even weakened by disease, he is still basically healthy. I imagine that if
he has any chronic diseases, it would probably be something like
osteoporosis or some slight respiratory trouble. I can't imagine him
having trouble with rheumatism or arthritis, since he is a herbal healer.

I very much like Thorig's Axe.

I also like your sketch of Bregon.

Andrew

--