Re: [Adonthell-devel] More v0.4 design issues

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] More v0.4 design issues
Date: 08 Dec 2001 14:47:55 +0100

> > Moreover, think that the next mapengine will be much
> > more complicated than the current one (several walkable layers, and so
> > on...), and such real-time loading will be extremly hard to do.
>
> Again :). That shouldn't be a problem as we'd load entire maps. Some extra
> work had to be put into the areas where the maps connect, that's right.
> But if we keep that in mind right from the start, we can design the map
> format to make this as easy as possible.

Awright. Loading entire maps is much more doable. Still, there probably
will be a slight lag due to the loading, but that's not hell. What
worries me more is that it may introduce others issues: we need to be
able to reference all the characters by their position. The main map
will be divided in tiles (speaking about the multiple maps), and when
for example I'm at pos (0,10) map (2,2) and want to go to left, I must
know that this corresponds to pos (39,0) of map (1,2). Not all maps will
be connected that way (still the example of the dungeon which is
independant). I'm not saying I'm against the idea - on the contrary I
rather like it, and several games already proven it was doable. But
things are not really clear in my mind about this. We need to discuss
this further. One idea would be, we decide of a global map of a defined
size where we put all the parts of the others maps. That way positions
would be from this global map. What do you think about it? Also, we
can't update all the characters of the world. What happens when one
character exits the scope of the engine? Is it stopped updating?

Well anyway I guess it won't hurt if I start doing the new map engine
without this ability - I guess it won't be hell to implement right
after. I'm feeling like I have the coding powah this afternoon, so I
guess I'll just make another source tree with the GUI to start coding a
bit of the new mapengine and start writing the editors along. Shall I
then create a new branch on the CVS to put this so you can have a look?