Re: [Adonthell-devel] More v0.4 design issues

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] More v0.4 design issues
Date: 10 Dec 2001 19:59:03 +0100

>       |__________________|
>    _____|                  |
>         |                  |  map 4
>         |       map 1      |
>    _____|                  |
>         |                  |
>         |__________________|__________
>         |           |
>         |           |     map 3
>         |   map 2   |

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
* Alex just hanged himself out of despair *

Well, I just had thoughts (actually all the afternoon) about the world
map system. Several extra problems came, but I'm not sure whether they
are real problems or just implementation drawbacks. Well, anyway. I'm
pretty sure we cannot use such a system - it would make coordinates
translation a real pain and will allocate like a frenzy. About objects
that overlaps two maps, I think it can be dealt without too much
problems. Anyway the object would only be loaded once in the mapobject
cache (the loader then checks whether a mapobject is already loaded
before allocating extra memory for another instace - it just points to
the loaded instance if there is already one).

But for now, I'll simply try to get a basic system out - such extras
have to come later. But more on this in the next mail.

Uh, you really scared me. :)