[Adonthell-devel] Re: Whee. Again.

From: Joseph Toscano
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Whee. Again.
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:49:11 -0500

Ricardo wrote:
> For an example of a good RPG battle system, you guys should play
> "Grandia 2" for Dreamcast. I've never played an RPG with such an intuitive
> and deep fighting system.

Hmm. Haven't played that one. Unfortunately, I don't own a Dreamcast, but if
you can lay out some details for us on the list that you think would be
cool. . . definitely do so. The more ideas, the better.

> I especially appreciated the importance timing and
> position on the battlefield.

That's cool. "Timing" suggests a real-time battle system. I've actually
rediscovered just how cool turn-based battles are, however, thanks to Final
Fantasy X. Whatever else may be true about that game: the battle system was
incredibly fun.

> Also, I think adonthell needs better graphics. I would love to see the
> characters be 3D models rather than sprites.

Hmm. Well, I have to disagree with this one. Not only would it be generally
impossible (Adonthell's 2D mapengine implementation is 99% complete) but I'd
rather see a new 2D RPG than a new 3D RPG. There's a glut of 3D stuff out
there right now (trust me, I've seen it all; I work at a videogame store),
simply for the fact that it *can* be 3D. Just because a game features 3D
graphics doesn't mean it's good. In my opinion, there are a lot more *good*
2D games out there than 3D ones.

But I'm especially proud of Adonthell's graphics. Mostly because it's done
by what could be called "amateurs," and yet it looks comparable even to the
oldschool Final Fantasy games on the SNES.

> Hmm...I don't know how hard this would be, but it'd be cool if it there
> was an option to play adonthell with a gamepad.

I'd like to see gamepad support, too. It'd make it feel a lot more like a
console game, at least.

> P.S. Hey, Joseph. Great job with the Adonthell music. I listen to it all
> the time. I can't wait to hear more of your music.

Thanks! All of my music is currently stashed over at zhaymusic.com. Pay the
site a visit if you want to hear some more of my stuff.

Sidenote: I noticed you replied to this as it was sent to
address@hidden You might want to disband that list
and subscribe to the new one at http://savannah.gnu.org/

--JT