Re: [Adonthell-devel] On combinations

From: Mike Avery
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] On combinations
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:24:35 -0500

Kai, have you coded this yet? :)  I'd like to see how I could incorporate
this in with the melee stuff and form more generalized combat mechanics.
One set of mechanics calculations that could handle all of this as well as
melee would be cool indeed.

Just to be sure we're all on the same page:
===================================

Is everyone in agreement that magic is to be handled through the use and
combination of foci?

On further thought to my initial request of "choosing a pimary foci".... This
may not be necessary.  The primary element is determined through examination
of the foci's properties.  As you mentioned below, having a Fire-heavy foci
which has secondary attributes would imply that Fire is the primary
attribute, and thusly the base modifier for damage calculcation and
resistance accounting etc.

the other school of thought was to have foci inherantly "pure".  Any foci
would have a single primary property, and perhaps some other attributes which
do not involve core foci powers. (like perhaps some stat benefits).  This
then would require the player to make an "arrangement" of foci in formulating
a recipe.  The resultant spell then is the weighted result of the combination
of the foci properties.  Even here, choosing a foci to put into a primary
"slot" is not necessary, since the weights can be derived from the foci's
potency etc.  It does bring up some other questions though...

Let's assume that I have a very strong Fire foci, and a somewhat weaker
"area" foci.  I want to make a spell which is useful primaily for its ability
to effectively damage several enemies moreso than its ability to damage
severely.  By placing the weaker Area foci in the primary position, the
caster can emphasize concentration on that foci element, increasing the
effective ability of the caster to damage multiple enemies.  The Fire foci
then, placed in a secondary position, consumes less of the caster's mana or
"concentration", and the effects of the fire damage are reduced.    We can
sacrifice raw potency in favour of general effectiveness. We end up with a
finer level of control over the recipe's outcome, and we add a third
dimension to magic making:  The ability of the player to have direct control
over the concentration of their casting character, and the ability to place
direct control over a spell's intended purpose.  This would also alleviate
the cut-and-dry search of players for a foci with a higher potency.

What do you think about that?

This would mean that placing a Fire Gem in the primary position with other
foci in secondary/tertiary positions would cause the Fire attribute to be the
base modifier, and the primary spell attribute?

Let me know.

Mike Avery