Re: [Adonthell-devel] On combinations

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] On combinations
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 18:37:18 +0100 (CET)

Nezumi wrote

> That would imply, at least in my own twisted sense of the universe, that
> combinations strong in fire would tend to be attack magic, and the sort of
> attack would possibly be determined by the second strongest element.  So
> double fire would be a fire spell, fire and water would be an ice spell,
> etc.  By the same token, Earth would be defensive spells.  Water would
> naturally be healing or status magic (including offensive things like
> poison and such) and Air would be for meta-spells, or possibly used to
> enchant the weapons and armour of other party members.  So you could make
> a spell with Air, then Fire, which could, depending on other factors,
> result in a spell which would give more strength, speed or an added attack
> or something, to a fighter's sword.

Exactly. It could be easily done that way. In addition, the outcome would
also depend on the value of the elements. I.e. the higher they are, the
more mighty the spell.

> However, I don't know if that works well with your calculations.  So
> that's an idea we could scrap, or maybe adapt part of.

I guess they might need some changes. I've coded them up and played a
little with them, but it seems that it is practically impossible to get
one element very high and the others pretty low. So it should be changed
to allow for more extreme values.

I'll attach the code so you can play around with it yourself. Right now it
allows the mixture of any number of items that can easily be 'defined' in
a file. See the recipe1.txt and recipe2.txt for examples.

> I do like the system, and the variety of spells would be a real
> crowd-pleaser, so long as we keep the actual calculations "under the
> hood", so to speak.

Sure. In fact, it wouldn't even be necessary to think of earth, fire, air
and water. You could as well name the attributes a, b, c and d. However,
if we can get everything to make some sort of sense, that would be cool,
even though nobody would know :).