Re: [Adonthell-devel] Global framework redesign

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Global framework redesign
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:03:08 +0100 (CET)

On 17 Feb 2002 14:23:55 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote
> I think we might need to redesign a bit our global framework. It
> currently has several disadvantages:
> -You absolutely need a valid data directory (i.e wastesedge) to run
> anything. This is absolutely bad. All the editors, and dlgedit in
> particular, should be able to run with just the adonthell package
> installed.

Exactly.

> The first thing is that one window theme and one font should come with
> the adonthell package, and get installed with it.

Makes sense. If it's needed to run some of the tools, it has to be
included.

> The second thing is that characters/quests info files should be loadable
> on request, for dlgedit to be able to run without a data package too.

Right. I haven't even thought about dlgedit's integration with adonthell,
but it would be nice indeed if it wouldn't require SDL or OggVorbis :).
And loading characters/quests as needed makes sense too.

> These are just random ideas, the only thing I'm certain about is that we
> need to redo our framework. Currently everything is fixed at init time
> and remains static. We must turn it into something more dynamic. I'll
> try to come with more ideas later, but I let you know what I think so
> you can give it a thought too ;)

Okay, that's one more item on my list :).