[Adonthell-devel] Iems

From: Mike Avery
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Iems
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:17:41 -0500

I have a few questions..

Here is what I believe is true as of now:

We will create 'action' classes for items:

Equip
Combine
Use
Enchant
--[others]

Each item will have its own class, and each item will inherit whatever action
classes are relevant.  This will also reflect capabilities of the item.

Here is something we can use to seee if an item has a certain capability.
Very simple:

import string
if (string.find('main__.Equip', 'Item.__bases__')):
        # This item can be equipped

If we can match main.__[class] in current_class.__bases__ , it means that the
item has inherited that functionality.  There might be other ways to check
for this, but I know this works.

Question:  Do we want to put the items in individual Python modules, or many
per module?

Question:  We're going to need access to a character calss.  When we work in
encumberance, item Equipping requirements, enchanting skills etc, we're going
to need to check and/or adjust character stats based on item use and
manipulation.  Is the character class going to be in Python?

Any other issues?

I'd like to work on this.  I would rather sort this out right now, since
combat/magic is going to rely heavily on the item interface and general
mechanics.  I'd rather get this into place than rewrite the combat stuff now,
just to rewrite it again once this stuff is done.  Objections?  Thoughts?

Mike