Re: [Adonthell-devel] On source code structure and backends

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] On source code structure and backends
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:23:26 +0100

Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> I've just done further tests to see how we could integrate backends to
> the engine. I'll concentrate on the gfx backend for this mail,
> hopefully it should be the same for all backends (input, audio, etc.)

[...]

Wow, sounds cool to me.

> This adds some contraints to our programming, but brings a lot of
> flexibility - backends could then be distributed separately from the
> engine, and will be selectable at runtime.

That's even better than I had imagined. Might make porting a bit more
difficult, but dynamic loading seems to work well for Python, so we
should also manage to make it work everywhere.

> Another thing I've tested (which but has failed) was to run python,
> import the backend Python wrapper, and then import the libgfx. I
> thought that it would be able to find all the symbols it links to as
> the backend has been loaded by Python, but it didn't work. Sad,
> because it would have been a nice solution.

Do you really need a wrapper around the backend? I think it might be so
lowlevel, that direct access from python makes not much sense.