Re: [Adonthell-devel] On source code structure and backends

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] On source code structure and backends
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:28:20 +0100

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 13:14:20 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> Anyway - I have a short example working! It works very fine, modulo a
> little drawback: all the class methods that are defined in the backend
> must be declared as virtual in the interface file. Otherwise, when
> linking the binary / loading the gfx library, the loader will look for
> the methods symbols, which will only be made available later by our
> dlopen(), and will of course fail to find them. After a quick search
> on the web, all the tutorials I've found are made in this way.

> Well, you all know my aversion towards virtual functions.

Uh, I practically know nothing about the performance impact of virtual
methods. But as you say yourself, compared to the actual work the method
does, it would not matter much. So if there's no way to avoid them, I
believe we can easily live with them :). To be frank, I don't expect to
be able to play v0.4 on my old P200. And I do not mind if it uses 30%
CPU on my Athlon instead of 27%.

That aside, the example works flawless. Cool!