[Adonthell-devel] New character test

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] New character test
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 21:19:29 +0100

Basically, this new test does exactly the same as yesterday's quick
hack, but this time the code is much more mature.

First thing you'll notice is that there is the "character" package. I
think that all classes that are directly character related should go
into that package. I also believe it might be nice to move all item
stuff into an "item" package.

Next thing is the advancement data, which is now read from a file and
kept in a global (that is, static) storage class (character.table).
Because of that, you'll need Python 2.2 to run the code. I guess the
change to v0.4 is a good point to switch to Python 2.2 and drop support
for older versions.

As reading the data is done via our igzstream class, you'll have to run
the example with pydonthell. (Once I add items to the current classes,
that will become neccessary anyway, so it shouldn't hurt much - unless
somebody is stuck on Windows).

And finally, as said in my other mail, some nasty bugs (infinite loop)
have been fixed in the generator.

So much about what I have done today. Over the next few days, I plan to
continue work on the character class, so that they can carry and equip
items. Once that works, I'll start with some basic melee combat.

In the long term, I hope to have the basic character/item/(melee) combat
stuff complete before the mapengine is done. However, this also includes
editors for characters and items. I plan to write them in wxPython as
that will allow easy access to the Python side of characters/items. That
means, I'll have to wait until the new source tree and the backend stuff
is in place before I can start with the editors.

But no worries, Alex: coding and documenting the basic stuff will take
me some time, so no need to hurry ;). Although I'd be the last to
complain if you'd finish your part faster than I can finish mine!

As always, please tell me what you think.