Re: [Adonthell-devel] What's next?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] What's next?
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:40:50 +0100

Am Dienstag, 02.12.03 um 15:08 Uhr schrieb Sasha Kushnirenko:

But if we'd store the event data with the event and pass it to the
script at runtime, we could do with a single instance of the script
that'll work for all teleports. Like this:

Sounds like a very constructive idea. I'm probably missing somethig, but would not be there a potential problem if an event data becomes huge and
moving it around could be complicated?

Usually, event data would not be that huge, I hope. For walking, it would be some destination coordinates, for picking up things the name of the thing, etc ... . A few ints and strings most of the time.

- Characters can receive messages that override the master schedule. A
    message will simply start a certain action. Messages may come from
    game events, other NPCs, etc ...

Good!  Is it something v0.4 specific, or continuation of v0.3 ideas?

It started in v0.3, where methods defined in character schedules could be called from dialogue or event scripts. But it was more a hack than a planned feature. This time, it should become a built in ability; somewhat more restrictive perhaps, but also easier to use.

Though
who is going to superwise orderly behaviour of "cron-like" events and
message-triggered events?

Actually, I hope that through lack of supervision, the behaviour of NPCs will have a rather natural feel to them, as they won't be too predictable.

I wouldn't.....  How often do we need this?  We can endup with boring
dialogues, which consists of "standard subdialogues"

That should be avoided, of course. What I was thinking of is a different scenario. As dialogues get larger and larger, one can get a better overview of them if they were divided into subdialogues. Just like you wouldn't write your whole program code into a single file. I also think that smaller portions of dialogue can be re-used. But I also intend to include the possibility to adapt them somewhat for each character.

But as you say, that feature will not be really required, so it is already last on my list :).

What is the CVS status. How should one checkout the code to get latest and
greatest?

In short, recent v0.4 code is in the "adonthell" module. 'Recent' v0.3 in the "adonthell-0.3" module. See
    http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/development/cvs.shtml
for the details.