[Adonthell-devel] v0.4 overview

From: ksterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] v0.4 overview
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:00:26 +0100

Just to briefly answer you other questions, Joel:

- What we have for v0.4:
  ttp://adonthell.linuxgames.com/files/architecture.pdf
  Nearly everything that exists is described there.

Perhaps of more interest: what did we have in v0.3 that isn't in v0.4 yet:

* Sound
* Character schedules
* Dialogue engine
* Mapengine
* Window system

All that needs to be added or implemented from scratch. I guess, the only thing
we can copy nearly unchanged is the dialogue engine. All the rest should be
newly written (or use some existing library).

Also of interest: what is in v0.4 that wasn't in v0.3:

* Improved quest system ('quest events' lacking yet)
* Quest log
* Improved game event system
* Items and inventories

What needs to go into v0.4 beyond all that:

* Character stats / Combat
  http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/files/rules.pdf

  I have an updated version of that doc, that I have to upload. Perhaps
tomorrow ... if I don't forget.

I'm not sure if we can get out something working quickly. A roadmap would
probably look as follows:

1) A demo of a new map engine, with different height levels, running and
jumping would be a start.

2) Picking up items, using, equipping, and combining them

3) Character schedules, NPCs and dialogues

At that point, we should be able to start work on the Dun Barethsol demo game.

4) Combat, sound, ...

I will hopefully be able to compile a detailed TODO list with all the stuff we
discussed over the last year or so. Then we have something to hand out to
people. I can't promise that it is ready soon, but it will be ready sometime
January.