[Adonthell-devel] Code moved to git

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Code moved to git
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:49:31 +0200

Hi everyone,

today, CVS at Savannah had been restored and was online long enough to
get adonthell and tools into git. Last I checked, CVS refused
connections again ...

However, we now have the most important bits of Adonthell available at github:

  http://github.com/ksterker/adonthell/tree/master
  http://github.com/ksterker/adonthell-tools/tree/master
  http://github.com/ksterker/wastesedge/tree/master

That means that a number of organizational things change. Let me try
and list the most important ones:

1. To get write access to these repositories, you'll have to create an
account at github.com so that I can add you as collaborator.

2. Afterwards you can start using git by pulling the repositories you
need. I'm a bit unsure how that works exactly, as there are at least
two URLs (one for anonymous access, one for developer access). I
assume you'd do

    git clone address@hidden:ksterker/adonthell.git

This should give you a directory 'adonthell' which is (a) your working
copy and at the same time (b) the complete git repository. It
therefore pays to use an out-of-source build from then on, as
suggested here:

    http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Development:Compiling

In your adonthell directory you would do (please somebody correct me
if I'm wrong)

    git pull

to update from the github repository.

    git add
    git commit

to add new (and changed!) files to your local repository. And finally

    git push

to commit your local changes to the github repository.

This is a very brief rundown of things (so I hope I got it mostly
right!). Helpful links for further reading are:

    http://github.com/guides/git-cheat-sheet
    http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit

3. The Wiki needs to be updated. I could see to that, but help from
somebody more intimate with git is appreciated. Pages in need of
update are:
    http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Development:CVS
    http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Development:QuickStart

4. I've already set up commit notifications to adonthell-commits when
something gets pushed/pulled into any of the git repos. So you should
be kept up-to-date about code changes just like with CVS.

5. We need to decide what should happen with CVS. Keep it in sync? Discard it?

If there are problems, please let the list know. I'll try to help but
I know there are people around here that can do that even better :-).
Then it's probably just taking a while getting used to things ... hope
the transition will be smooth for everyone!