[Adonthell-devel] Re: Code moved to git

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Code moved to git
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 22:13:03 +0200

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Chris Frey<address@hidden> wrote:

Thanks for the additional info, Chris! Have yet to try most of these
things, but learning (and memorizing) a couple new things each day
:-).

>> That means that a number of organizational things change. Let me try
>> and list the most important ones:
>>
>> 1. To get write access to these repositories, you'll have to create an
>> account at github.com so that I can add you as collaborator.
>>
>> 2. Afterwards you can start using git by pulling the repositories you
>> need.

> Pulling / fetching depends on the remotes you have setup.

Made some tests today with Rian. Once you are added as collaborator,
you can use

   git clone address@hidden:ksterker/adonthell.git

to get your clone. I assume that in this case, things will be setup
the way they need to be. Might be different if you clone using the
public URL instead.

Based upon our tests, I've updated the Wiki with the most basic set of
commands to get you going:

http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Development:GIT#Developer_Git_Access

I guess it pays to check out other commands too. And to play around a
bit. Also, I found this highly useful:

    http://zrusin.blogspot.com/2007/09/git-cheat-sheet.html

> I always like doing a fetch first, so I know what I'm working with,
> but this is user-preference, and if you're pulling from the same trusted
> origin all the time, git pull works fine.

Assuming that each developer will (for now) maintain his own local
changes and only pull from the central repository, git pull should do.

Might be different if people without push access to the central
repository start contributing patches (via their git repos) ... but I
do hope that for the biggest part, development can go on without
having to manage patches that way. (Might be more comfortable than
manually applying patches ... but it's still extra work). OTOH, if
we'd get more contributions that way I'd be the last to complain ;-).

Anyway ... hope that covers most of the activities associated with the
move to git ... would like to get back to that map editor!