[Adonthell-devel] Re: SDL 1.3 and text input

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: SDL 1.3 and text input
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:14:07 +0100

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> http://lists.libsdl.org/pipermail/sdl-libsdl.org/2010-January/074201.html
>
> After a week of silence, I've finally gotten some answers (although I
> think I will have to follow up some more with this).

Turns out it was a bug in SDL after all :-). So part of yesterdays
changes were not really necessary. They won't hurt either, though.

> I also couldn't test my changes to the SDL 1.2 backend, so it might
> not even compile.

Checked that today. Compiles and works as expected :-).

> In general, the gui code will have to be updated to work with UTF-8
> encoded strings.

Still left to do. I'll take care of that, if nobody else wants to have a go.

> P.S: Another thing I hopefully don't get sidetracked with is an
> overhaul of the SDL 1.3 gfx backend. Right now it's still using the
> 1.2 compatibility layer, which means it won't benefit from the
> performance boost SDL 1.3 could provide otherwise. Volunteers welcome!

On second thought, it might be better to wait for an official SDL 1.3
release first. There might still be some changes to the API and it
would be a waste of time if we had to change the gfx backend code more
than once.