Re: [Adonthell-devel] Debug symbols

From: Chris Frey
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Debug symbols
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 02:47:15 -0400

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 08:23:22AM +0200, Josh Glover wrote:
> This is probably a really basic problem, but I can't get adonthell
> built with debug symbols. My cmake output follows, but can anyone tell
> me how they were able to get debug symbols in adonthell and worldtest
> so that gdb is useful? :)

There's a couple ways that I've found.

One is to set the CMake build type with:

        -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING="Debug"

This affects the -O optimization flags, and the -g flag.
There are a number of types: Debug, Release, RelWithDebugInfo, I think.
There might be another one.

The other way is to set the flags yourself:

        -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING="-Wall -Werror -g"
        -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="-Wall -Werror -g"

Note that these flags come before the BUILD_TYPE flags, so if you try to
set -O0 and you build for Release, it will override with -O3.

Here's my full cmake command line, which I use via script:

cmake -Wdev \
        -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/adonthell/progs/rootdir \

-DPYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR=/home/adonthell/progs/rootdir/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
 \
        -DDEVBUILD=1 \
        -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING="Debug" \
        -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING="-Wall -Werror -O0" \
        -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="-Wall -Werror -O0" \
        -DADDITIONAL_SWIG_CXXFLAGS:STRING="-Wno-error" \
        -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE \
        ..

The -O0 really makes the game slow, but it is better for gdb debugging
sometimes.

Hope this helps,
- Chris