Re: [Adonthell-devel] Porting to SDL2

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Porting to SDL2
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 23:14:38 +0200

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 10:33 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

There is one larger task related to the text rendering, due to a change in the scaling implementation. [...] I guess that returning to the v0.3 way of scaling everything upfront is the better approach. While this makes scaling a bit less elegant, it'll avoid unnecessary complexity elsewhere.

I'll see if I can get that done tomorrow. Looks as simple as the screen modes, but might also hold some nasty surprises.

Done, excluding one minor issue.

The good news is that text is again rendered at full resolution and everything else is kept at 1x scale and upscaled on the GPU. Best of all, it didn't need any changes outside of the surface code, so the solution is both elegant and without complexities added elsewhere in the code.

The one tricky bit is that scale changes as screen mode gets switched between Windowed, Letterbox and Fullscreen. In the event this happens, the font cache is cleared and on re-rendering the text, the correct full resolution font for the new scale is used.

Somewhere in there must be a small loophole, though, because the label in the option screen that displays the current mode is no longer correctly aligned after such a change in scale. I'll have to hunt this down tomorrow, then SDL2 stuff is finally ready to commit.