Re: [Adonthell-devel] Porting to SDL2

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Porting to SDL2
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 21:52:28 +0200

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

Somewhere in there must be a small loophole, though, because the label in the option screen that displays the current mode is no longer correctly aligned after such a change in scale. I'll have to hunt this down tomorrow, then SDL2 stuff is finally ready to commit.

SDL 1.2 support is gone, SDL 2 support is in. Now would be a good time to check out latest CVS and test.

Especially if any of you has a multi-monitor setup, testing how it behaves would be great. I would strongly recommend using at least SDL 2.0.4, however. Even better the bleeding edge. Althoug verifying that at least the default mode (letterbox, i.e. fullscreen at desktop resolution with preserved aspect ratio) works with your distro's default SDL2 package would be nice as well.

There is one thing that I want to give a bit of an overhaul still, and that is the text rendering. Due to the scaling and the way I originally implemented the true type font stuff, spacing between the letters is somewhat sub-optimal. Since SDL2_ttf implements support for kerning, I'll check if applying this improves the readability of the text.

Once that is done, I really, really need to test the SDL2 stuff on OSX and also start looking for a way to produce Windows binaries. I don't think I'll do any other major changes or additions to the code :-).