[Adonthell-general] Magic revisited

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Magic revisited
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 22:30:56 +0100

As there were different thoughts on the magic system, partly opposing each
other, I'll try to sum up the discussion we had so far. Hope that will make
things clearer.

However, that summary itself is subject to discussion and by no means final.

The workings of magic
=====================

Actually, there seem to be two different variations of my original
suggestion. I'll write down both, then we can decide on one, or combine them,
or whatever.

-- Creating Foci

That's what I first suggested. You'd have a number of reagents (different
gems, minerals, etc.) that are use in order to enchant a focus (either ring,
amulett or staff).

Depending on the mixture, the focus would then contain a more or less
powerfull spell, and depending on the item enchanted, it would be weaker or
stronger. Rings result in the weakest spells, staffs in the strongest.

The resulting spell is determined by the modification and combination of the
four elements (water, fire, earth and air) and the 'power' of the reagents.

The primary element of the enchantment will determine the spell category
(fire - offensive, earth - defensive, water - healing and status magic, air -
meta-spells and enchanting). The second highest element would then define the
actual spell out of the category.

For example,
* fire and air -> fireball
* fire and water -> acid rain

Of course, higher values of the primary (and secondary) elemets would lead to
different, more impressive spells.

The foci, once enchanted can no longer be modified or combined. However, a
pretty old idea was that they need to be charged before using them. On
casting a spell, you could specify how much of the charge should go into that
spell, thus increasing it's effect. Certain spells, like light or various
protective spells might slowly consume the charge as long as they are in use.

Over time, this idea has evolved to

-- Combining Foci

There are a number of foci with different properties. Like Fire, Water,
Earth, Wind, Poison, Antidote, ... . Each of those foci has a (weak) effect
on it's own. However, really impressive magic can be created by using several
foci at once.

For example,
* Stone + Rain + Area -> meteor shower

That way, magic resembles more the 'combos' of melee combat, with the
difference that a combination of foci results in one great spell, whereas a
combo in melee will execute several basic moves in a row.

So far the two ideas (or interpretations of the same idea). Here's a proposal
that combines the two:

We still start with reagents that have no special use on their own (gems and
so on). Those are forged into the different Foci that have basic magical
properties (Fire, Water, ...). Finally, several Foci can be used together to
create advanced spells.

Learning Magic
==============
(or: The Schools of Magic)

Note that in this context, school does not refer to a building, but rather to
a philosophy. More on this a bit further down.

Independant from the workings of magic, there are items that need to be
gathered and combined to form powerful magic. So the process of learning
magic requires the collection of items and knowledge how to use them.

There are several ways to achieve that:

-- The Easy Way

Magic items that are ready for use can be found in shops or as treasure on
the map, gained through battle or as reward for completed quest.

-- The Normal Way

Different teachers will be more or less ready to pass on their wisdom to the
worthy alcolyte. However, most of these teachers would follow a certain
school of magic. They may reside in the same physical building, but their
field of research will differ, and so will the spells they have to teach.
The more extreme teachers might refuse to pass on their knowledge to those
that follow an opposite school of magic.

What you would learn from teachers are recipes only, you still have to aquire
the necessary reagents or foci.

In a similar fashion, recipies can be bought in shops, found in treasure
chests or gained from slain enemies.

-- The Hard Way

Pick up some reagents, mix them together and see what comes out. A few unique
spells should be made available on by that way.

Okay, I think this covers the most important points. If I missed anything,
feel free to add it. And tell me what variant of magic you prefer.

Kai