Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell Rules

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell Rules
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:28:30 +0200

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:45:27 +0200 address@hidden wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Ben and I got together over the weekend, and we worked a little on the
> rules. I hope you like them. In fact I think that with a few
> modifications (tell me what to chance, if you think the rules are
> understandable/balanced), they should be ready to be released on the
> web site (at least as a rough draft and for testing purposes). We
> might even encourage people to test them and tell us whether they like
> them or not. So, enjoy...

We definately have to release them! It's about time that we release
something new ... :)

As far as the rules go, I think they are okay for now. I see little use
in making adjustments to formulas and such before those rules aren't
implemented and can be tested.

There is one thing that is a little odd in section 1.2: "With each new
level the character gains, she will receive one attribute rank point
that she may freely distribute among the four attributes ...", but later
it says that you get 5 points that can be distributed over attributes,
abilities and skills.

I also think the part talking about character advancement should be
changed a little. It shouldn't be possible to raise attributes,
abilities or skills by more than one rank at a time. For that to make
sense, you should only be able to distribute points right after
levelling up. Still, points could be saved for later use. (The only
exception would be character generation)

Otherwise, you could master some skill right away.

Another thing I found a little unclear is section 4.2.2: "In close
combat ...". Is the damage range coming from the weapon (as described
above) or from the property? If it's not coming from the weapon, each
weapon would cause the same damage, base on the character's skill. But
if it comes from the weapon, what for are the properties needed?

Other than that, I like it a lot :).

Perhaps you should run a spellchecker over the text prior to releasing.

Sometimes, the table heading is on a different page than the
corresponding table, which is also a little odd ;). Perhaps it would be
better to use the\caption{<text>} command to create a caption below the
table.

And maybe you should enable the bookmarks of the PDF file, so one can
directly jump to a corresponding section.

If you want me to take care of that, just send me the sources.

Kai