Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell Rules

From: Benjamin Walther-Franks
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell Rules
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:45:09 +0200

At Monday 17.06.2002 15:28, you wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:45:27 +0200 address@hidden wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Ben and I got together over the weekend, and we worked a little on the
> rules. I hope you like them. In fact I think that with a few
> modifications (tell me what to chance, if you think the rules are
> understandable/balanced), they should be ready to be released on the
> web site (at least as a rough draft and for testing purposes). We
> might even encourage people to test them and tell us whether they like
> them or not. So, enjoy...

We definately have to release them! It's about time that we release
something new ... :)

As far as the rules go, I think they are okay for now. I see little use
in making adjustments to formulas and such before those rules aren't
implemented and can be tested.

There is one thing that is a little odd in section 1.2: "With each new
level the character gains, she will receive one attribute rank point
that she may freely distribute among the four attributes ...", but later
it says that you get 5 points that can be distributed over attributes,
abilities and skills.

Sorry, that's a mistake due to us changing stuff around several times, we must have overlooked that. The sentence "With each new level the character gains, she will receive one attribute rank point that she may freely distribute among the four attributes ..." should be removed.

I also think the part talking about character advancement should be
changed a little. It shouldn't be possible to raise attributes,
abilities or skills by more than one rank at a time. For that to make
sense, you should only be able to distribute points right after
levelling up. Still, points could be saved for later use. (The only
exception would be character generation)

Otherwise, you could master some skill right away.

Hm, weren't too sure about that on either. I guess I'll correct it the way you said until somebody comes up with something else.

Another thing I found a little unclear is section 4.2.2: "In close
combat ...". Is the damage range coming from the weapon (as described
above) or from the property? If it's not coming from the weapon, each
weapon would cause the same damage, base on the character's skill. But
if it comes from the weapon, what for are the properties needed?

Maybe we weren't too sure ourselves...? ;)
I've corrected it, it now reads:

In close combat the characters Melee Damage is added to the physical damage range of his damage source (whatever he is attacking with), respectively raising the upper and lower boundary of the interval by his Melee Damage value. The ranged combat equivalent is the property Ranged Damage, which is added to the physical damage range of the wielded damage source (see section character stats: attributes and properties).

Other than that, I like it a lot :).

cool, great you liked it!

Perhaps you should run a spellchecker over the text prior to releasing.

Sometimes, the table heading is on a different page than the
corresponding table, which is also a little odd ;). Perhaps it would be
better to use the\caption{<text>} command to create a caption below the
table.

Oooh, I'll try that, sounds good.

And maybe you should enable the bookmarks of the PDF file, so one can
directly jump to a corresponding section.

If you want me to take care of that, just send me the sources.

I'll send you the .tex file privately, then you can have a look through it (maybe change the odd part). Maybe you could also adjust the layout to the style the other documents (plot, etc.) had?

Hopefully we'll soon see the rules on the website!

BEN

P.S.: Unfortunately I haven't been able to do more for Adonthell than help Nils with the rules, since I'm still too involved in Uni work. I'll be able to do more soon, promise! :)