Re: [Adonthell-general] Ultima games

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Ultima games
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:25:48 +0200

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:14:23 -0500 (CDT) Andrew Michael Phillips wrote:

> Is there any way to get hold of the pre-UO Ultima games these days?

Ebay perhaps. There's the 'Ultima Collection' which contains Ultima 1
through 8. There was also 'The Complete Ultima 7', which contains Ultima
7 part 1 and 2, plus the two add-ons. But that one is quite old. Then
there's the 'Dragon Edition' that contains Ultima 1 through 9, Audio CD
and a few other trinkets. (Cost me nearly $100 back then). A search for
'Ultima Dragon Edition' on ebay brings up to auctions that end today,
respectively tomorrow. Maybe you're lucky.

I wouldn't recommend anything prior to Ultima 7 (although either 4 or 5
had an intro that sent you rolling on the floor :)). Ultima 8 got a
severe bashing back then, but I started to like it when I played it
through a second time.

Ultima 9 was in development for ages and then finished in a hurry; you
spot that. Still, it has the most beautiful outside world I've seen in a
3D RPG so far (at least better than Gothic or Morrowind, despite it's
age). The gameplay is decent, but not near as rich as Ultima 7.

Even Ultima 7 is pretty bad when it comes down to combat, but the
gameworld is among the best I've seen so far.

Kai