Re: [Adonthell-general] Ultima games

From: Nathan Barnes
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Ultima games
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:52:33 -0500

On Friday 26 July 2002 04:25 am, you wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:14:23 -0500 (CDT) Andrew Michael Phillips wrote:
> > Is there any way to get hold of the pre-UO Ultima games these days?
>
> I wouldn't recommend anything prior to Ultima 7 (although either 4 or 5
> had an intro that sent you rolling on the floor :)). Ultima 8 got a
> severe bashing back then, but I started to like it when I played it
> through a second time.

I think 5 is still my favorite, but that may be because I prefer symbolic
tiled interfaces to 3d.  It's probably similar to my freaky preference for
reading over t.v.  %^P

Anyway, I have the complete set of Ultimas that came with the big-box U9.  I
already had U7 and U7p2 before I got that, so I may be able to find those old
cds if I dig deep and I don't need them now that I have it more conveniently
packaged elsewhere.

To tie this in with the list topic, I recommend that you play them with Exult
(http://exult.sourceforge.net).  It is a complete rewrite of the U7 game
engine with some nice improvements and it runs on Linux.  It uses the data
files off of the CD, so you still need to have that for the installation.
It's complete enough to finish the game (I played through U7 a month or two
ago), and they're working on a game editor to help you create your own areas.

Pretty nifty.

-nb