Re: [Adonthell-general] Fw: Some feedback regarding Waste's Edge

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Fw: Some feedback regarding Waste's Edge
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:00:30 +0100

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:59:32 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > - On PPC, the game reacted to keyboard input appropriately, except
> > for input fields, where it did not insert the appropriate character.
> > This may be caused by chars being unsigned on PPC by default
> > (convention of C compilers on that platform).
>
> Weird. Kai, you have a Power, don't you? Haven't you noticed anything?

Yeah, same here. Same on Sparc too. So it might be an endianess related
thing. I haven't given it much thought, as the new input system might
already fix it. But if you want, I can investigate it further.

> > - On Alpha, the game segfaulted (or maybe it was a floating point
> > exception, I'm not sure and won't be able to check until may) right
> > after the initial conversation. Usual problems on Alpha are
> > unaligned accesses, assumptions of sizeof(void *) == sizeof(int) ==
> > sizeof(long), or C++ code being compiled with pre-3.x gcc.
>
> Wasn't this problem addressed? Or maybe the debian packages haven't
> been updated? (which I doubt seriously)

Yeah, it's fixed in CVS and the source tarball has been updated too.
Maybe Gordon missed that, though. Or the package Christoph used was
simply not recent enough.

> > - When selecting answers from text boxes, it is often not possible
> > to scroll up sufficiently far to re-read the statement you're
> > replying to(I'd suggest separate boxes if you want to continue using
> > the current approach to dialogues)
>
> Page-up/Page-down is your friend! :) But most people are confused by
> that, either we should find something else, either provide a in-game
> help.

Yeah, I know. I'll definitely change that. Basically, you should be able
to move to each item in the list with the arrow keys. But then some list
items need still be inactive. That's not possible with the current
window system, but I hope it'll be in the next version :).

Kai