[Adonthell-general] Fighting Feats

From: Andrew Michael Phillips
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Fighting Feats
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 22:22:08 -0600 (CST)

I'd like to propose a fighting feat and also ask some questions about its
implementation.

I am thinking about a Shield Bash feat or skill (whichever you want to
call it.) The feat itself seems easy enough:
if (character has bash feat) && (shield can do bash damage) {
        calculate shield bash as melee damage
}

However, I run into problems when writing requirements for shields. Most
large or metallic shields could be used to inflict bash damage, but to
require a Bash feat from anyone using a shield seems unreasonable. So,
I've tried to choose a middle path. The shields I'm designing now have a
shield bash value listed, but its bash value is conditional on having the
bash feat. I think the bash feat should require a rank in melee and a rank
in shield. How does that sound?

My next question is :
Should it be possible to put more than one rank in such a feat? How
should the effectiveness of the feat be determined?

For example:

1 rank in Shield and 1 rank in Melee opens up the Shield Bash feat
(obviously)

After the character chooses the bash feat, should additional ranks in
the feat increase (or multiply) the damage done by a shield bash? If
so, it might have the be limited in some way. It would seem rather odd for
someone to do be able to 9 or 10 pts of damage by bashing with a wooden
buckler.

--
Andrew Phillips
God Bless Our Troops