Re: [Adonthell-general] Fighting Feats

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Fighting Feats
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:09:41 +0100

Am Samstag, 03.01.04 um 05:22 Uhr schrieb Andrew Michael Phillips:

I am thinking about a Shield Bash feat or skill (whichever you want to
call it.) The feat itself seems easy enough:
if (character has bash feat) && (shield can do bash damage) {
        calculate shield bash as melee damage
}
[...]
The shields I'm designing now have a
shield bash value listed, but its bash value is conditional on having the bash feat. I think the bash feat should require a rank in melee and a rank
in shield. How does that sound?

Good idea. I hope you'll have more like those :).

After the character chooses the bash feat, should additional ranks in
the feat increase (or multiply) the damage done by a shield bash?

I wouldn't think so. A higher rank would allow to learn better feats, but it wouldn't improve other feats. The effectiveness itself would most likely be determined by the weapon (or shield in your case) used. So a wooden buckler would do little bash damage while a large, spiked, tower shield would do a lot. However, it might take a rank of 3 in shields to actually use the large shield.

So while the feat remains the same, it does more damage at higher levels, simply because players have access to better equippment. If the feats themselves would also improve, the total effect would be too much, I think.

Kai