Re: [Adonthell-general] Races and their Items

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Races and their Items
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:41:59 +0100

Am Montag, 19.01.04 um 02:59 Uhr schrieb Andrew Michael Phillips:

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Kai Sterker wrote:

Well, it is a matter of balancing. I imagine that a temporary effect
cost much less than a permanent achievement, so while Elves and Dwarves
would have to use their powers with care, Half-Elves might be able use
theirs without much thinking.

I think you're half-right, in this case. They have to give less thought to
how much power they are spending, but they would also have to spend it
more often, and with keener foresight, particularly if they know a big
fight is coming. If the player is taken by surprise in a fight, however,
he might end up spending turns (or time) re-inforcing his armor and
weapons.

Hm, since their magic is conveyed through songs, would it make sense to allow them to sing _and_ to fight at the same time? That would certainly remove any disadvantage in case of an ambush. It would again be an advantage over Elven magic, which probably needs some concentration and time to perform.

OTOH, I guess that Elven magic lasts after being cast, regardless of the caster's state. Any effects achieved through song would vanish when the song stops. In that respect, I imagine that something like a 'healing song' is out of question.

If we're going to create this advantage, then I think we must make sure
that our combat system allows them to make use of it and also make sure
that the game does not require constant re-incantation of items, which
could get quite tedious.

There will be a number of hotkeys the user may freely define. That way, at least the most important songs (or spells or feats) can be activated at a keypress.

Kai