Re: [Adonthell-general] GUI Mockup questions

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] GUI Mockup questions
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:34:26 -0700

On 6/28/07, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

Call me clueless, but I just noticed the gui mockup image that's up on the
wiki. It looks like a good starting point. I just have one question: are the
two catseyes in the corner placeholders for something? If so, what?

They are kind of hotkey items. The idea is to assign usable items (or
spells or feats) to a key. They show up on the GUI and can be used
more easily without having to bring up the inventory or spell book.

The original idea was to limit the number of hotkeys to two to support
gamepads with only a few buttons. But I guess we can decide on the
actual number when we get a chance to test how it works out. Right
now, two doesn't sound like much to me.

Anyway, the idea is to have a fairly unobtrusive GUI with only the
most important information visible all the time. I thought we had
already discussed this a lot, but I couldn't find much on the ML
archives. I think a lot of the discussion took place when we met in
Bad Godesberg (ah ... the good old times :-).) and it never really got
documented.

From what I have seen on the ML, we came to the conclusion that it
didn't make much sense to specify the GUI as long as we don't know
anything about the game mechanics. We know those now
(http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Rules:Contents), but it
seems we forgot about the GUI afterwards ;-).

Kai