Re: [Adonthell-general] Getting contributors (was Re: Kudos on [Adonthel

From: James Nash
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Getting contributors (was Re: Kudos on [Adonthell-Devel])
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:52:17 +0000

On 19 Jan 2008, at 13:12, Kai Sterker wrote:

However, it has been broken
for a long time (IIRC Linuxgames disabled the server-side includes)
so things like the screenshots and art gallery are not accessible.

SSI are still available. Perl/CGI is disabled, however. PHP would work, though.

Ah, that's good. Any idea what version of PHP it is?

I know, that much of the new discussions now take place on the Wiki
but it is has a totally different look and feel and, coming from the
main Adonthell site, is a bit bard to find (it's not on the home page
or amongst the navbar links).

Since it is supposed to replace the development section (and the
library and documentation), it should be linked directly from the

Agreed.

navbar. Customizing it to have a look & feel that matches the main
website would be nice, but a fairly low priority.

Fair enough.

Furthermore, we seem to be a project on both Savannah and BerliOS and
it's not immediately clear what info / docs / code reside on which
location or if one is supposed to supersede the other.

That's a bit unfortunate, I know. BerliOS has the Wiki, Savannah all the rest.

That's not too bad then. As long as there's a clear distinction between the two we're OK I think.

My suggestion would be that we spend some time overhauling our
websites to do the following:

[...]

I would all be for a redesign, following the principle that less is
more :-). A lean site would be easier to keep up-to-date, easier to
navigate and generally give a more lifely impression than all the
stuff that accumulated over the years.

Yep, I think a refresh would be good.
I'll try to come up with a few ideas on paper and share them with you guys for discussion.

It might be nice to have a generic logo/icon for Adonthell. We could use it across the site / wiki / docs etc. as a common identifier. Could eventually serve as an app icon too.

I'm pretty good with PHP / XHTML / CSS so perhaps this is something I
could help with.

Maybe it would make sense to use some sort of CMS instead of custom
code. I know that I am far more likely to update stuff if all I have
to do is log on and fill out a form on the web. Making changes
locally, then transferring them to the server is awkward at best. It
also leaves me with most of the work, whereas with a CMS, others could
get editing privileges too.

I believe we can get access to mysql and PHP at Linuxgames.com, so we
should be fine.

Perhaps something like Drupal? I haven't used it myself but checked it out once and it looked quite good. I do have a little experience with WordPress but I'm not sure if that's a good solution for Adonthell.

Kai, do you know if we have access to .htaccess files to set up things like HTTP redirects and mod_rewrite voodoo? Whatever CMS we use there's a good chance old URLs would break so stuff like that would be useful to not break external links to our pages. Also having mod_rewrite let's us have nice, tidy URLs.

        - James
--
Personal site:
http://cirrus.twiddles.com/