Re: [Adonthell-general] Re: "Vacation" on Dere

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Re: "Vacation" on Dere
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:26:07 +0200

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think we have a plot that can drive the game. We have a certain number of
> sandbox side-quests, but even the outcome of these can be dovetailed back
> into the pursuit of one or more paths through the main plot. I think we've
> found a good balance between the infinite possibilities of a sandbox game
> and the strictly linear quest path of Diablo & company.
>
> Striking that balance can be difficult, however. If we need to address that
> in the design guide, let's do so now.

I don't think there's an issue with the balance between linear and
open ended game play, although I think we have to ensure that not only
the plot as a whole, but each quest itself offers multiple branches,
where possible.

The issue I see more is the balance between plot and character
development. If I look back at the Infinity games (especially BG(2)
and PS:T), a lot of the game revolved around who the main character
really was, even if the plot goes into other directions too. Ultima
VII OTOH didn't have any of that second layer, even though there was a
story behind each party member, there wasn't really any further
development.

In the design guide, I completely neglected that second layer too ...
although implicitly it is already part of Dun Barethsol. Again, there
are several components to the character development part:

* Obvious seems to be the alignment thing. Marcella isn't leaning in a
particular direction when DB sets out and she can develop in either
depending on the path through the main plot.
* But there's also her whole background that can be revealed (even
though it's not essential to the main plot, apart from that it might
explain some things that are going on).

I think that we might have to throw in a quest or two that revolve
around Marcella herself, not just stuff she has to do to survive.

Of course, I guess this is even more important when there is a party,
as will be in v1.0. Then we'd really need quests related to party
members and interaction between them (and the main character).

Kai