aleader-dev

Re: [Aleader-dev] statement of the problem

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: Re: [Aleader-dev] statement of the problem
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:59:43 +0530

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 06:22:13PM -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> Shoot, pine tells me I responded to this but I don't think I did.
> So I'm going to respond again...

You glossed over it the first time.  This time I really like
response & discussion.

> ability to read facial expressions etc, THEN it DOES make sense to
> talk about such OBJECTIVE, unitary or repeatible judgments.  But this
> skill must not be used in the service of making us more rigid, inflexible
> or unidimension.
>
> Phrew, it was good to get that out.  I hope it makes sense.  It seems
> important to me.  I hope you and I both try to grok it fully.  I suggest
> stuffing it into the appropriate part of your writings, documentation
> whatever.

Yah, ultimate!  Your discussion is really good.  I'm looking forward
to fleshing this out.

> emotional intelligence requires generativity.  Okay, fine, say we've got
> Joe The Affective Sage here.  Sure, Joe will watch "Good Will Hunting" and
> like totally peg the single emotion being depicted by each character in
> every single frame.  BUT, Joe will also be able to generate scaddzillions
> of alternatives.   He will mull over a few difficult scenes in his
> mind..."hmm, those tears could be joy but it could be anguish too...or
> maybe it is just the physical pain...or the tiredness or..."

Not only do I agree, but I have already identified specific examples
in both Good Will Hunting and Star Wars.

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://www.nongnu.org/aleader