alsa-xmms-user

[Alsa-xmms-user] Problem with endianness

From: Ondrej Certik
Subject: [Alsa-xmms-user] Problem with endianness
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 02:22:53 -0700 (PDT)

> I tried bot wav and mp3/ogg's and it always reports
> a "native-endian"
> type (mine being little-endian). Do you have the
> same situation?

No, wav reports little-endian and ogg reports
native-endian.

But I looked down in snd_format_from_xmms and
I found that WORDS_BIGENDIAN is _not_ defined!!!

So I added #define WORDS_BIGENDIAN in alsa.h and
it function now. So the problem was with your plugin
after all :-). I wonder if I compiled it correctly,
because I suppose that WORDS_BIGENDIAN should be
defined in some header file on powerpc.
I did normal ./configure and make.

So I think that the main problem is solved now.
However there are still two minor problems:

First, and this is probably not related to endianness,
I hear light cracks when I play something. When I
increase period time in preferences to 500, the cracks
disappear. I don't know what period time means and
how it could be related to quality of audio.

Second, and this is probably related to our problem
with endianness, when I switch between two songs
which have different endiannes (between ogg and wav),
I hear for a few miliseconds the famous noise caused
by wrong endianness. But unfortunately only sometimes.
The song however plays all right. Only at the beginnig
there is sometimes the noise. But it is loud,
so it is very uncomfortabe or tough.
This problem doesn't occur when I switch only between
wav files, or only between ogg files, but quite often
when I switch between ogg and wav file (or vice
versa).
And I don't have to switch it manually, it occurs also
when one song ends and the other with different
endianness begins.

So maybe there is still some part of code, which
handles the endianness wrong, which runs when the
songs
are switching.