antbear-devel

[Antbear-devel] Architecture questions

From: Daniel Ng
Subject: [Antbear-devel] Architecture questions
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:35:35 -0800 (PST)

Hi guys,

I am working on the Class Diagrams, should be able to
provide an initial one tomorrow (Tuesday).

Are we planning on making this multi-threaded? I think
it will start to get complicated, especially with
controlling mutual exclusive access to the databases.

Perhaps we start coding a single-threaded prototype,
but have 2 different designs- for single and
multi-threaded?

I believe we will still need a multi-threaded program
because the non-blocking nature of Java nio only means
that the Server will still be able to 'hear' all
Clients, even when it is already 'hearing' a single
Client. However, once the Server starts processing
this single Client's request, it will not be able to
Process the other Clients' requests until it is
finished with the single Client's request. So we need
to make this Process a thread, right?

Thorsten, you want to use a free-software version of
the JVM, but would there be any that support Java nio?

Finally, do we need to develop an Antbear Client as
well? Do the HalfLife Gameclients already know how to
communicate with a Masterserver, and already have a
standard protocol for this, or will we need to make
this too?

Daniel.