apps-gnustep

Re: ANN: Burn.app 0.3.0

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: ANN: Burn.app 0.3.0
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:40:50 +0100

Fabien!
Sorry for answering so late.

On 2003-02-18 16:25:13 +0100 Fabien VALLON <address@hidden> wrote:

Andreas Heppel (address@hidden) wrote:

- Burn.app now uses CDPlayer.app's AudioCD.bundle to load audio CDs
   and read their TOC.

I would like to know if it is plan to extend NSWorkspace to allow lauching best app (ie defined by the user) for something that haven't extention (like audio), URL.

The question is, how you would want to achieve this. Unfortunately, tracks on an audio CD apart from not having a file extension don't have a MIME-type or something similar either (AFAIK). We would have to invent something. Another question that arises is that we would need to define a 'protocol' for data exchange, i.e. Burn.app would have the need that the 'preferred app' could deliver the CD's TOC. Apart from that it's a good idea. I am not really happy with the current solution of using the AudioCD.bundle in Burn.app, but it's the easiest way at the moment. Uuuhm, while writing this an idea comes to mind. It is still bound to CDPlayer.app, but nevertheless will be more flexible than the way I do it now. And it will be a step towards the direction of a 'best app' for playing/browsing audio CDs. Let me think about it a while.

idem for File Operations :
Currently we have : NSWorkspaceMoveOperation,NSWorkspaceCopyOperation, NSWorkspaceLinkOperation,NSWorkspaceCompressOperation, NSWorkspaceDecompressOperation,NSWorkspaceEncryptOperation NSWorkspaceDecryptOperation NSWorkspaceRecycleOperation, NSWorkspaceDuplicateOperation.

Can we add "constant" that app will add like NSWorksapceEncodAudio,
NSWorksapceBurnOnCD.........
Do we really need this? I mean currently you have the coice of either dnd'ing files from GWorkspace to Burn.app or using the offered service. If you invent a new file operation 'NSWorkspaceBurnOnCD' how would you invoke it? DnD? Makes no sense (see above). A new menu item in GWorkspace? Mmmh. What if you have no burner?

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Heppel

Mail: aheppel at web dot de
Home: http://www.andreasheppel.de

Check out Burn.app - the CD burning frontend for GNUstep
http://gsburn.sourceforge.net