apps-gnustep

Re: ANN: Burn.app 0.3.0

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: ANN: Burn.app 0.3.0
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:08:10 +0100

Andreas Heppel (address@hidden) a écrit:
> Fabien!
> Sorry for answering so late.
>
> On 2003-02-18 16:25:13 +0100 Fabien VALLON <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> >Andreas Heppel (address@hidden) wrote:
> >
> >>- Burn.app now uses CDPlayer.app's AudioCD.bundle to load audio CDs
> >>   and read their TOC.
> >
> >I would like to know if it is plan to extend NSWorkspace to allow lauching
> >best app (ie defined by the user) for something that haven't extention
> >(like audio), URL.
> >
> The question is, how you would want to achieve this. Unfortunately, tracks
> on an audio CD apart from not having a file extension don't have a
> MIME-type or something similar either (AFAIK). We would have to invent
> something.
> Another question that arises is that we would need to define a 'protocol'
> for data exchange, i.e. Burn.app would have the need that the 'preferred
> app' could deliver the CD's TOC. Apart from that it's a good idea. I am not
> really happy with the current solution of using the AudioCD.bundle in
> Burn.app, but it's the easiest way at the moment.
> Uuuhm, while writing this an idea comes to mind. It is still bound to
> CDPlayer.app, but nevertheless will be more flexible than the way I do it
> now. And it will be a step towards the direction of  a 'best app' for
> playing/browsing audio CDs. Let me think about it a while.

Maybye it the GW/Workplace with NSWorkspace class to do all of this :
/*
 * Manipulating Files
  */
- (BOOL) performFileOperation: (NSString*)operation
                         source: (NSString*)source
                    destination: (NSString*)destination
                        files: (NSArray*)files
                          tag: (int*)tag
{
    id app = [self _workspaceApplication];

    if (app == nil)
      {
          return NO;
     }
    else
    {
          // Send the request on to the Workspace application

      return [app performFileOperation: operation
                               source: source
                            destination: destination
                                files: files
                                   tag: tag];
      }
}

Workplace APplication is also suppose to (with the help of NSWorspace
to check device)
and Tools Inspector is suppose to be a frontend of *bestApp* methods

> >idem for File Operations :
> >Currently we have : NSWorkspaceMoveOperation,NSWorkspaceCopyOperation,
> >NSWorkspaceLinkOperation,NSWorkspaceCompressOperation,
> >NSWorkspaceDecompressOperation,NSWorkspaceEncryptOperation
> >NSWorkspaceDecryptOperation NSWorkspaceRecycleOperation,
> >NSWorkspaceDuplicateOperation.
> >
> >Can we add "constant" that app will add like NSWorksapceEncodAudio,
> >NSWorksapceBurnOnCD.........
> Do we really need this? I mean currently you have the coice of either
> dnd'ing files from GWorkspace to Burn.app or using the offered service. If
> you invent a new file operation 'NSWorkspaceBurnOnCD' how would you invoke
> it? DnD? Makes no sense (see above). A new menu item in GWorkspace? Mmmh.
> What if you have no burner?

yes the target do a
[workplace performFileOperation: NSWokspaceEncodeAudio

                               source: source
                                destination:destination

                                files: files
                                 tag : tag];

(Like GW do when you dnd from a viewer to another)

and the Workplace app forward it to the register application

This is probably more a GNUSTEP/(your favorite OS here)
discusion than a GNUstep-discuss :)

Fabien