aspell-devel

[aspell-devel] Re: [Aspell-user] Manuel Installation and use.

From: James Supancic
Subject: [aspell-devel] Re: [Aspell-user] Manuel Installation and use.
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 06:45:31 +0000

From: Christoph Hintermüller <address@hidden>
To: "James Supancic" <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Manuel Installation and use.
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:20:25 +0100

Am Dienstag, 4. November 2003 05:56 schrieb James Supancic:
> I want to write a spell-check program for a Sharp Zaurus. I would like
> to use aspell, but I have the following problems
>
> A: I cant do ./configure, make, make install because the system to
> install to is differnt then the system that will be compiling (Im doing
> a cross compile).
Hm
Which compiler are you using for building gcc??

Im not building gcc... Im building aspell, using arm-linux-gcc and arm-linux-g++.

> B: Basicly I want to know, what order I should compile individual
> componets, and ware I should put them, and then how do I make sure
> everythings working. How should I set up my makefiles? I cant use the
> ones made by ./configure or the ones that came with it. Can I use progen
> and tmake?
Hm but a better aproach would be if you could try to add some
corsscompiling feature to ./configure, have a closer look at automake
autoconf and at the main Makefile.am which is turned ito Makefile.in by
automake and the later ist runed into the final Makefile by configure.

Ok, Im confused. Im not a vetrin GNU developer. What are automake and aoutoconf. I don't know the syntax for Makefiles ether. I just use progen and tmake to get my makefiles. I guess ill have to do some reading...

When using the automake autoconf variant you would only have to deal with
the crosscompile specific things and not with the whole build process of
aspell. If you do it properly in best case others needing different
crosscompile would only need to add further values for a specific
configure option and voila they thave their aspell version.

I think this is going to be a mess. ./confgiure gets its settings from the host not from the Zaurus. How should I go about getting this to work? Im lost when it comes to the make utility. Can you recoment a place were I can learn more about it?

After you are done pleas don't forget to send patch.

If I can get it working.

cu
Christoph
ps.: the proper mailing list for this is aspell-devel more there

Sorry I didnt know there was a aspell-devel.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Christoph Hintermüller
University for Health Informatics and Technology Tyrol

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account is over limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es