aspell-devel

Re: [aspell-devel] Re: [Aspell-user] Manuel Installation and use.

From: Christoph Hintermüller
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Re: [Aspell-user] Manuel Installation and use.
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:58:25 +0100

Hi
Am Dienstag, 4. November 2003 07:45 schrieb James Supancic:

> Im not building gcc... Im building aspell, using arm-linux-gcc and
> arm-linux-g++.

gcc is named gnu compiler collection and if i'm not mistaken
using arm-linux-gcc and arm-linux-g++ shoulb system specific forntends or
are they backends for the gcc. So the arm stuff schold also be reachable
via prameter list of gcc. Or jou could explicitly add options making
./configure set both versions of gcc and g++.

> >Hm but a better aproach would be if you could try to add some
> >corsscompiling feature to ./configure, have a closer look at automake
> >autoconf and at the main Makefile.am which is turned ito Makefile.in by
> >automake and the later ist runed into the final Makefile by configure.
>
> Ok, Im confused. Im not a vetrin GNU developer. What are automake and
> aoutoconf. I don't know the syntax for Makefiles ether. I just use
> progen and tmake to get my makefiles. I guess ill have to do some
> reading...
Via autoconf you generate the ./configure file from a configure.in or
configure.ac file which contains macrocalls influencing behaviour and
testing of ./configure  take a look at configure.ac in aspell root
directory.

automake is used to convert the Makefile.am files in each directory of
aspell souce tree into the Makefile templates called Makefile.in. And from
this ./configure than generates the final Makeifles. The Makefile.am
contains automake specific macors and definitions.
automake further reads the configure.ac file too.

It is adviseable to run ./autogen from within aspell directory as this make
shure that all programs involved in updating aspell buildprocess scripts
are called. See developement manual for further information.

> I think this is going to be a mess. ./confgiure gets its settings from
> the host not from the Zaurus. How should I go about getting this to
> work? Im lost when it comes to the make utility. Can you recoment a
> place were I can learn more about it?

Hm first you will have to provide crosscomplied libraries for the zaurus on
your build host. Second you have te possiblity to define new configure
option via configure.ac script which may force several configure settings
to default values required when compiling for zaurus.

Furhter information uppong autoconf automake ... can be found
a) if the programs are installed via info files
b) on gnu.org there are also tutorials and more.

> If I can get it working.
shure you need only to add settings for arm and zaurus.

cu
christoph

--
Dipl.-Ing. Christoph Hintermüller
University for Health Informatics and Technology Tyrol