aspell-devel

[aspell-devel] Re: updating aspell.h via mk-src.in

From: Jose Da Silva
Subject: [aspell-devel] Re: updating aspell.h via mk-src.in
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:39:49 -0700

On August 29, 2005 10:17 pm, you wrote:
> thanks for that hint. Will base my changes on it. I didn't start yet,
> though.

Hi Michael,
There is no race here, so when you start is when you start.

However, just letting you know that it got accepted so the improvements
should be located in the CVS now. I would recommend grabbing the latest
copy from the CVS just in case Kevin hammered in a couple extra fixes.
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/aspell/aspell/auto/?only_with_tag=rel_0_60-branch

...you may still refer back in the sourceforge posting such as what
is ????, so if you have an idea of what to fill in for ????, then
great!

I forgot to mention it earlier, but if your editor can visually display
TABs, it helped a little in getting rid of the embedded TABs.  I think
I got most if not all of them... just consider it a just-in-case.
If your editor doesn't show them, don't worry about it since it is your
motivation that is important, and not which brand of editor you use.

Just before you post your suggested fix(es), it would be wise to check
the CVS or take another quick glance at sourceforge once again to make
sure nobody posted something while you were busy working on the copy
you have now. Just supposing there was a later copy on sourceforge, or
even in these mailing lists, it may be best to use whichever latest
copy you find.
These coincidences may happen on a busy project such as the kernel or
mozilla where you may have many developers dedicated, or not, working
on those projects at the same time, but it is unlikely to happen in
Aspell since you are dealing with 1 main developer (Kevin), and the
occasional contributor (the rest of us) when speaking of the
programming side. The word lists is another story.
The frequency of something like that happening in reality is very very
low but I'm posting this "just in case" so that you submit the latest
patch.
An additional reason to mention all that is because there is some
occasionally confusion on these mailing lists of people thinking there
may be an army of developers working on Aspell.
There isn't.
So if you can help, great!

Most of what I mentioned here is probably already obvious to you,
however, there may be several readers on the list (or even on the web)
who wish to help in some way, but don't really know what to do or where
to look without feeling like they may be doing something wrong.
Hopefully some of these suggestions may help them.
Due to the recent change of 1st suggesting to you to look on souceforge
but now suggesting to look at CVS instead, this seemed a good place to
suggest all this info.

Hopefully this helps.