[aspell] ./configure and rope container bug

From: Ales Kosir
Subject: [aspell] ./configure and rope container bug
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:08:01 +0100

As is well known, all egcs and some gcc compilers have bug in rope
container, that affects the aspell program, so that aspell crashes
whenever run interactively. In the aspell/misc directory there is a
patch, that should be applied in such cases.

I wonder whether it is possible for the configure tool to take care a
bit of this. May I propose, that the configure checks for the buggy rope
header file stl_rope-30.h, and if unpatched file is present, then at
least informs the user about the need to patch it. Even better solution
would be to automatically copy system stl_rope-30.h file in the
aspell/src directory and apply the patch here. This will fix the bug.

In that way the installation of aspell will become more friendly on some
popular systems lacking correct rope container. These systems include
some modern and popular distributions of Linux.

--
Best regards,
Ales