Re: [aspell] updating the word list

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell] updating the word list
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 01:33:39 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

> Considering the problems you can get into, if one user
> starts adding silly words to the common dictionary this
> should never be allowed.
>
> Stick to the personal word lists - and maybe find an easy
> way for sharing personal word lists.

I should also add that Aspell personal dictionaries are Theoretically multi
process safe.  When a personal dictionary is saves aspell get a lock on
the file, add any words saved to the personal dictionary from other process
sense the last time the personal dictionary was synchronized, and finally
save the personal dictionary to disk which will effectually add any new
words saved to personal dictionary by the current process to the
personal dictionary on disk.  So basically a save with Aspell is more like
a synchronize. I say theoretically because I have never tested it under
conditions when two process try to access the personal dictionary at
once.

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net