[aspell-user] Status of run-together support

From: Toralf Lund
Subject: [aspell-user] Status of run-together support
Date: Fri Oct 12 01:24:06 2001

OK, I just started using aspell, and looking into what it can do. So far, the feature that interests me the most is what you term "run-together words".

The thing is, all spell checker software I've tried leaves a lot to be desired in the area of compounds. Allowing multiple words to be written as one is quite common, but in some languages, like German and Norwegian, compound words not only *can* be run-together, but they also *should* be. One of the most common mistakes in modern usage is to split up words that should be written together, and I attribute this partly to the fact that no spell checker will detect it. It would be *really* great if Aspell could.

In other languages, such as English, you usually write the words separately when making up a compound, but some "standard" ones are written as one word, or with hyphens between the components, and splitting these up is still wrong. Of course, detecting that is really a lot simpler as you can include the compounds (which would be impractical e.g. for Norwegian as there are just too many of them) in the wordlist, but it does require smarter handling of whitespace characters.

Comments, anyone?

--
Toralf Lund <address@hidden>  +47 66 85 51 22
Kongsberg Scanners AS               +47 66 85 51 00 (switchboard)