Re: [aspell-user] Status of run-together support

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-user] Status of run-together support
Date: Fri Oct 12 11:34:11 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Toralf Lund wrote:

> The thing is, all spell checker software I've tried leaves a lot to be
> desired in the area of compounds. Allowing multiple words to be written as
> one is quite common, but in some languages, like German and Norwegian,
> compound words not only *can* be run-together, but they also *should* be.
> One of the most common mistakes in modern usage is to split up words that
> should be written together, and I attribute this partly to the fact that
> no spell checker will detect it. It would be *really* great if Aspell
> could.

Aspell currently does not have the ability to look at more than one word at
a time.  (A word as far as Aspell is concerned is a string of valid
characters that can appear in a word.)   Aspell is undergoing a major
rewrite right now.  After that is done support for considering more than
one word at a time is one of the things I would like to add.  After that
it would be very easy to add support for what you are talking about.