Re: [Aspell-user] Re: How to get a word (gauge) added to the dictionary?

From: Brian Nelson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Re: How to get a word (gauge) added to the dictionary?
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:37:09 -0700

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 03:31:36PM -0400, Mark Plaksin wrote:
> Brian Nelson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> "gauge" is not in the English dictionary.  A request to add it went to
> >> aspell-devel a while back but there were no replies.  Ironically, "gauger"
> >> *is* in there :)
> >
> > "gauge" is there, but it's considered the British spelling.  "gage" is
> > the American spelling, apparently.
>
> But it's not :)  That is, I have *never* seen "gage" used by any
> Americans.  I polled 5 people in my office and none of them had ever
> heard of "gage."
>
> m-w.com has this as their main entry for "gage":
>   Function: noun
>   Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, of Germanic origin; akin to
>   Old High German wetti pledge -- more at WED
>   1: a token of defiance; specifically : a glove or cap cast on the ground
>   to be taken up by an opponent as a pledge of combat
>   2: something deposited as a pledge of performance
>
> and this as their main entry for "gauge":
>   Function: noun
>   Etymology: Middle English gauge, from Old North French
>   1a: a measurement (as of linear dimension) according to some standard or
>   system: as (1) : the distance between the rails of a railroad (2) : the
>   size of a shotgun barrel's inner diameter nominally expressed as the number
>   of lead balls each just fitting that diameter required to make a pound <a
>   12-gauge shotgun>

$ dict gauge

>From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

  Gauge \Gauge\, n. [Written also gage.]
     1. A measure; a standard of measure; an instrument to
        determine dimensions, distance, or capacity; a standard.
        [1913 Webster]
[...]

$ dict gage

>From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

  Gage \Gage\, n.
     A measure or standard. See {Gauge}, n.
     [1913 Webster]
[...]

I have a mechanical engineering background and I've seen both uses, but I think
"gauge" is the more common one.

--
You win again, gravity!