[Aspell-user] british

From: Michael Redbourn
Subject: [Aspell-user] british
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:27:36 +0300

I recently started using metapad which I love and now have it working with Aspell's standard American dictionary.

I can't however, after doing what follows get it to work for British spelling ?

Q:  How do I spell check the stuff I write in metapad?

A:  Here is a solution (submitted by C.L. Jacobsen):

  1. Download Aspell http://aspell.sourceforge.net/ (There is a windows binary some way down the page)
  2. Unzip Aspell into a directory, say C:\aspell
  3. Configure the primary or secondary viewer in metapad to be Aspell:
    Primary/secondary external viewer: C:\aspell\aspell.exe
    For British spelling:
        Args: --lang=british -c
    For Default spelling:
        Args: -c
  4. Make sure to either select "Prompt to save" or "Automatically save" OR you will have to remember to save the file before you spell check it!!!
  5. Now you can launch the "viewer" and a window will pop up and check your document, if there are no mistakes this window will pop up and then disappear very quickly. After you have spell-checked your doc make sure to press reload to reload the file with the corrections made.
When I enter --lang=british -C and then try to check spelling the message on screen (very very briefly) says that it can't find the word list.

My C:\Aspell\dict  has ..

american.alias

american-w-accents.alias
british.alias

british-w-accents.alias
canadian.alias

canadian-w-accents.alias
en.multi

en_CA.multi
en_CA-only.rws

en_CA-w-accents.multi
en_GB.multi

en_GB-only.rws

en_GB-w-accents.multi
en_US.multi

en_US-only.rws
en_US-w-accents.multi

english.alias
en-only.rws

located in it.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm and ex-film sound editor (Hollywood and London 30 years) now teaching English.

thanks,

Michael