[Aspell-user] 2nd Request for Help / Problems installing new "Aspell" ve

From: W Page
Subject: [Aspell-user] 2nd Request for Help / Problems installing new "Aspell" version and (compiling) language dictionary
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:35:16 -0400

Hello All!

I am sending this e-mail again / I am still having this problem
/ Can anyone help me??

Please forgive my long e-mail.  I wanted to provide enough
information about my problem so I could get help for it.

I am having two problems that have come up while installing
(compiling) Aspell.

HOST: 1and1.com
SSH ACCESS: Yes
CONFIGURATION: Shared Hosting
SYSTEM: Linux infong 2.4 #1 SMP

----------------------
PROBLEM 1
I was not able to install (compile) the latest version of Aspell
"aspell-0.60.tar.gz".

I was able to install (compile) the previous version
"aspell-0.50.5.tar.gz".

Can anyone explain why I was not able to complle the most recent
version but I was able to compile the previous version.

I have placed the procedure I used to install (compile) aspell
at the bottom of this post.

PROBLEM 2
After installing (compiling) aspell I then wanted to install two
dictionaries.  I was not able to install the English dictionary
"aspell6-en-6.0-0.tar.bz2" or the Spanish dictionary
"aspell-es-0.50-2.tar.bz2".  Since I could not install the
English dictionary, I did not attempt to install the Spanish
dictionary.

I have placed the procedure I used to install (compile) the
dictionary at the bottom of this post.
----------------------

What am I doing wrong?  Please let me know what I need to do to
get Aspell to work.

Procedures are below.

Thank you in advance.

WP1
============================
BASICS
Path - [represents home directory structure]
/homepages/XX/dXXXXXXXX/htdocs/

PROCEDURE TO INSTALL ASPELL
1  Aspell file "aspell-0.50.5.tar.gz" downloaded and
decompressed,
tar xzvf aspell-0.50.5.tar.gz
2. File decompressed into directory "aspell-0.50.5"
3. Renamed "aspell-0.50.5" to "aspell".
4. cd aspell
5. ./configure --prefix=/homepages/XX/dXXXXXXX/htdocs/aspell
6. make
7. make install

PROCEDURE TO INSTALL "ENGLISH" DICTIONARY
1  Aspell file "aspell6-en-6.0-0.tar.bz2" downloaded and
decompressed,
tar xjvf aspell6-en-6.0-0.tar.bz2

2. File decompressed into directory "aspell6-en-6.0-0"

3. cd aspell6-en-6.0-0

4. ./configure --vars
ASPELL=/homepages/XX/dXXXXXXXX/htdocs/aspell/bin/aspell
PREZIP=/homepages/XX/dXXXXXXXX/htdocs/aspell/bin/word-list-compress
Got Back the following:
Finding Dictionary file location ...
/homepages/XX/dXXXXXXXX/htdocs/aspell/lib/aspell
Finding Data file location ...
/homepages/XX/dXXXXXXXX/htdocs/aspell/share/aspell

5. make
Got Back the following:
/homepages/XX/dXXXXXXXX/htdocs/aspell/bin/word-list-compress -d
< en-common.cwl |
/homepages/XX/dXXXXXXXX/htdocs/aspell/bin/aspell  --lang=en
create master ./en-common.rws
Compresses or uncompresses sorted word lists.
For best result the locale should be set to C
before sorting by setting the environmental
variable LANG to "C" before sorting.
Copyright 2001 by Kevin Atkinson.
Usage: word-list-compress c[ompress]|d[ecompress]
Error: The key "affix" is unknown.
make: *** [en-common.rws] Error 1

6. make install
Did not do because of error in number 5.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag