[Aspell-user] Suggestion

From: Hunter Beanland
Subject: [Aspell-user] Suggestion
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:30:35 +1000

After seeing countless number of issues in this support list every day
which are related to compilation issues, I need to make this suggestion
to you Kevin. I realise this project is still pre-1.0 status, but
accessibility to your product is hampering take up. More take up, the
more feedback, more interest and more funding you would possibly get.

I suggest that you or someone else manages a binaries or ports page
where, people can send back your latest stable code in a binary form and
get it hosted for others to download. Many of the support questions are
about people trying to compile under Windows or RedHat. Even if the
latest builds of those are posted (with some other major *NIX versions),
it would certainly cut support questions by 25%. The only port on the
site now (Windows) is 2 years old, so it is not much use to anyone.

Take my circumstance for example. I am a ASP/VB/.NET programmer. I do
not use and have no knowledge of C compilers and therefore don't really
know the first thing about compiling your application (I use the 2yr old
windows port). I do however have a very basic HTML/ASP front end for
Aspell which I have posted on my website. This in turn encourages others
to discover and use Aspell - but they may not to be able to compile the
code either (especially if they are ASP programmers).

Anyway, had to say it. I think this is a great project, but needs that
extra accessibility to hit critical mass.

Thanks for listening,
Hunter