[Aspell-user] Re: Suggestion

From: Robert Walker
Subject: [Aspell-user] Re: Suggestion
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:44:58 +0100

Hi Hunter,

I'm in the same situation. I did a windows program that uses
Aspell as a spell checker. I'm also using the old Windows binary.
I do have a C compiler, MSVC, but from past experience, building
one of these unix projects on MSVC can sometimes be a tricky business
indeed, with tiny incompatibilities that can trip one up and
take ages to figure out sometimes - and I couldn't even consider
it for Aspell as I work in pure C rather than C++.

Anyway looks as if we windows users just have to wait and see
if anyone completes a new build for Windows to try it out.
I'm looking for a proper Windows type dll too, because users of
my program won't have Redhat or Cygwin or anything, only
Windows, and one can't expect them to install a linux type
shell or appropriate binaries in order to run my tiny
program. Most will be novice Windows users anyway.

Meanwhile the old binary does at least do its job and
give spell checking capabilities, which my program
wouldn't have otherwise, and I'm grateful for that.
I'm interested in any news of a newer Windows port of
Aspell available for download. But just thought I'd
add my voice for what it is worth, so that anyone
who is working on a Windows build will know that
their efforts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert Walker