Re: [Aspell-user] Spell-checking source code

From: Christoph Hintermüller
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Spell-checking source code
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:24:45 +0200

Hello Greg
Am Freitag, 15. Oktober 2004 04:05 schrieb Greg Ward:

> Ah-ha, you just gave me a clue that aspell does *not* do what I want.  I
> want to spell-check all text: comments, string literals, *and*
> programming identifiers.  I don't care if the error is
>
>   /* this fucntion adds two numbers */

Aspell 0.60 is capable of spelling this
> or
>
>   message = "error reeding file";
Aspell 0.60 is capable of spelling this

> or
>
>   void getRemaningObjects()
Why do you want to spell check the function name doesn't is sufice to have the
compiler complaining about unknown getRmanngObject function name or better
implicit declaration if ti appears. Or are you looking for somethin like
http://www.splint.org/.

> -- I want the spell-checker to catch it.  Which is why my regex to split
> mixed-case identifiers like "getRemainingObjects" or "HTTPResponse" into
> English words is at the heart of this little hack.
>
> Does aspell 0.60 do *that*?  Or does it only spell-check comments and
> string literals?  The latter two are not enough in the face of
> programmers who consistently misspell function names.  ;-(
If they are consequently misspelle throut the code it doesn'T matter or why
wone would like spellchecking on function names. In declaration it doesn't
matter or ? and in usage any compliler comlains about unknown function or
implicit declaration so why bothering about spellin of function names. And
what would happen if the designated function name doesn'T consist of full
words but rather of their abreveiations as full words would make the name
rather inreadable.

Sorry but i do not get why spelling of function names matters in a way other
than check and detactable by compilers and syntax checkers ?

cu
Xris