Re: [Aspell-user] Absolute beginner needs help in installing Aspell

From: Gary Setter
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Absolute beginner needs help in installing Aspell
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:22:18 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Clutterbuck" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 7:12 PM
Subject: [Aspell-user] Absolute beginner needs help in installing
Aspell

> Hi,
>
> I am completely new to open source software, and have
absolutely no idea how
> to use secure shell access.  I have root access on a virtual
private server,
> but have no idea at all with regard to installing, unpacking
and compiling
> aspell.
>

> It's all completely new to me and very overwhelming!  I don't
even know
> which folder to try to install it into, is it the root itself?
>

> Can someone please provide detailed clear instructions for a
complete
> novice.

Hi Gary,

I'm not sure what you want to do or what you have at your
disposal. That being the case, I can't look over you shoulder and
tell you what to type.

First, is this truly a high priority message for the list as a
whole? Why do you need to post html, when plain text would put
less strain on the servers. Please be considerate.

Second, what is your environment? Do you use windows, Unix,
Linux? Since you are new, might it be best to install as an
ordinary user first before doing something as root? Do you have a
compiler, if so which?

Third, I suppose that you find this list from the aspell.net
site, that being the case, you should have been able to fetch the
current source, which is version 0.60.4. The file is in  tar.gz
format, do you have something that can decompress and unpack it?
If don't, you can get something like pkzip.

Fourth and most important, most any open source distribution is
going to have a file called readme, install.txt or something like
it. The above .tar.gz does have a readme file which is where you
are suppose to find the instructions for newbees.

However, if you are a windows user, the last window port was
version 0.50 and personally, I didn't like how it used the
current working directory to find its files. You are welcome to
download my project, which contains aspell as a subproject. You
can find it here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/descdatadiary

I hope that someday enough windows users will post patches and
that windows and the popular compiler will be supported in the
main distribution and that a separate windows port is no longer
needed.

Best regards,
Gary